My weekend stress buster places - My city My Mumbai

Travelling is great stress buster and reenergiser for me. It's like polishing myself with "Colin" to remove the dust of boredom and stress of daily routine. I have written about my trips to different location and hopefully will continue to write till the time my passion for travelling, exploring new places or same old places doesn't fade.

Here in this post, I plan to describe Mumbai and some places in Mumbai which I love to visit, which have always been my stress buster places on weekends when I am at home getting bored and have no plans what so ever.

 Marine drive: The Queens necklace as it is called and the 3KM long promenade is one place which I have frequented since my days in college and I still visit when in town. Walk all the way from chowpatty to NCPA building is amazing especially during the evening. Cool breeze blowing from the sea with noise from the waves hitting the shore creates a kind of rhythmic sound which gives quite a amazing feeling when sitting on the promenade wall in the late evening when there is less noise from traffic. I just love to sit here especially at the far end on the rocks opp NCPA building when I am in town before catching the train home. Not to forget the amazing Italian restaurant "Not just jazz by the bay" and the famous Warden's sandwich ice cream which I have relished since my college days.



Colaba :The southern most tip of Mumbai is the heritage belt for being the part of main city of Presidential Bombay. Colaba causeway walk is something frequented by tourist and locals alike. I like walking on the causeway watching what shops have to offer. Also two Irani restaurants come bar which is frequented by tourists and locals are also my favorites Leopold Cafe which was also part of the Mumbai terrorist attack and Cafe Mondegar a.k.a Mondy's sipping beer on antique chairs, listening to music or just sit and relax. Being a tourist spot in Mumbai, it host quite few hotels and restaurants. Woodsideinn, Foodinn, Delhi darbar for its famous Moghlai cuisine. Also one other reason I like coming here is of course Gateway of India, which is quite a sight in the evening especially on weekends. If you happen to come early in the morning at Gateway of India, its quite a  sight with small, big and rich yatch's parked at the bay. In the evenings after a beer or two at Mondy's or Leopold, food at BadeMiya is worth a million. Though veg options are few as compared to Non veg options but every dish here is worth a try. Kalaghoda festival which happens every year at Colaba is one festival of creative minds and artist, for the best brains in art converge here to showcase their art during this mela.

Priyadarshini park: One of the most beautiful park in Mumbai is one place which I have visited again since my college days. Its a best place when you are feeling low or depressed. Close to Arabian sea and in one of the most plush localities of Malabar hills. The sunset view from this park is best as compared to anywhere in Mumbai. Park is so well maintained and location close to the sea. Its comes in full glory on weekends and in evenings.
On my way back home, I make it a point to stop at Shree krishna restaurant close to Grant road station  which is the best South Indian restaurant in South Mumbai.

ISKCON Temple Juhu: First home to lord Krishna in Mumbai as now we have other two sites coming up in Kharghar and Mira Road. One of the most beautiful temples in Mumbai, One of the few temples I love to visit. The other reason is the GOVINDAS the restaurant with mouth watering veg food which is one sure thing not to be missed when at Iskcon. After puja and pet puja at Govindas, if time permits, sitting idle on the less crowded portion of Juhu beach next to Holiday Inn is enchanting. Juhu beach is also one of the few places in my Winter walkathon list, I normally start at 7am in the morning from Scruz Koliwada to Versova and back is worth a walk especially in winters.


ISKCON temple at Kharghar is quite a distance especially from Borivali. But the temple still under construction is uniquely located, Opposite the first golf course coming up in Navi Mumbai. Close to Cidco Central park. In rainy season the place becomes picturesque location of lush green mountains and waterfalls.



BEST bus ride: I especially want to mention this bus ride, its a normal BEST bus ride but at different place all together, away from hustle and bustle of the city on Gorai Island. The first time when I tried it, I was so moved by the journey that I have done it quite a few times now. Starting point for me is bus stop at Gorai Island just after reaching the island by ferry from Borivali mainland. Bus takes you to Uttan village in Bhayender passing through only road with Mango orchards and forest area with quite few bunglows and sleepy fishery villages. Uttan village also has some of the last remaining virgin beaches in Mumbai only used by fishermen but no so frequented by visitors. On the way back, I take the bus all the way to Marve in Malad and then catch a ferry to Malad Marve road and then bus or rick home. The bus ride passes through some small villages of fisherman giving a insight into how Bombay would have looked 60-70 or 100 years back when it was still a group of small seven islands.Its good that Gorai has not seen high rise and is still untouched by urbanisation.

Powai lake Promenade: Powai lake built in 1891 is an artificial lake which was built to supply water to city of Bombay. Situated in affluent Mumbai suburb of Powai. The lake water now unfit for drinking provides soothing and much needed escape from hustle bustle life of a Mumbaikar.
The recently built and renovated walkway on the banks of the lake is one of the best gateways for ideal evening walk or just to sit on the banks and enjoy nature. The lake and its surrounding are natural habitat for some exotic birds which is rarely seen in urban concrete jungles of Mumbai. There are also sightings of crocs in the lake as well. Here are some of the pics from my clicks from one of my visit. Njoy !!!!!!!!!!!!


















Mumbai city is also know as foodie's paradise with every corner of city having its own Khau galli or some food street and some famous restaurants with its unique taste and food. I being a foodie, love to adventure in this so called Khau galli's or eateries of Mumbai to enjoy the food and its unique taste. Some of my favorites I could remember are listed here. Some that's missed here will surely make it in some of my other blogs for my adventures would never end !!!!!!!!

Zaveri Bazaar: Name Khau galli is synonymous with khau galli here. The famous jalebis, kichhya papads have been hogged by people here for generations. Its a must visit when I am in Bhuleshwar especially Bhel puri wala near Kalbadevi road and also BHAGAT Tarachand for some amazing north Indian and Sindhi food.

Flora Fountain (Churchgate) :- One unique and famous stall here is the vada pav stall opp the famous monument. I have eaten vada pav from here ever since I was in college and during my days in Stock markets, Its taste has remained the same as people say since it started in early 80's !!!!

Bombay central station: Come Bombay central and one cannot forget Pav bhaji from Sardar's. Place has wait time for one hour especially on weekends. I have been again regular here for some amazing, finger licking, butter pav bhaji for long time. The eatery uses 500kg butter on a single day on weekends on only pavbhaji !!!!!!!!

Dadar east: Tucked in the by lanes of busy dadar is the my favorite restaurant Pritam da Dhaba. My softcorner for punjabi food and the best punjabi food served here has made me a patron of this place.  I cannot describe the taste of the food here on the blog, it can only be experienced by making a visit !

Matunga / King Circle / Sion:  The place being a home for families of early south Indian migrants in Mumbai. Has some of the best Udipi restaurants like Madras cafe, Ramakrishna nayak, Cafe Mysore. Liked by celebreties and locals, the South Indian dishes here cannot be compared to anywhere in Mumbai. I make it a point to go empty stomach when ever I have plans to be in this area so can relish and fill my tummy upto the brim. The food is value for money and worth the burrp !!!!!

Vileparle west: - Walkable distance from the station, lies khau galli of parle, Bajaj road with sandwich walla, dosa walla and what not. But the grilled sandwich here is so hugh that one is more than a full dinner. Dosa stall next to it is something that I have visited for last 20 years and the taste is still the same. 30 different varities of dosas is worth a try. My all time favorite Kerala Masala !!!!!

Oshiwara Andheri -  Kareems - The boutique restaurant famous for its Moghlai non veg and veg cuisine is one that I visit especially on weekends. I have liking for Veg or Egg biryani and Kareems is one place for it. Apart from Kareems, Zaffarbhai at Marine drive and BBC at Orlem or Borivali is other locations for awesome mouth watering Biryanis which I have visited on my foodie adventure trips.

Andheri station west - Just outside the station, stands a stall which starts at 11.00pm to 6.00am in the morning serving amazing pav bhaji and egg bhurjee I have ever tasted in Mumbai. I developed the taste for the food here once after one of my late night parties and since then have been regular to just try the egg bhurjee late in the night. The taste really gets enchanced if you are eating in rickshaw or on the bonnet of your car.

Borivali west :- 10minutes walk from station at Ganjawala circle is the Raju's chinese kiosk. The chinese food here is so mouth watering that people wait for order even at midnight.
again at Borivali station, Bun maska jam and tea just outside the station from midnight to 7am in the morning is just worth trying, I still remember that it was my daily breakfast at 4.00am when I was doing American shift and would be home in wee hours of morning,

I am sure I have missed quite a lot of places that I have visited and like visiting either to rejuvenate myself or to pacify my taste buds on my foodie adventure trips. But the places would get mention somewhere in my coming blogs
Cheers !!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sopara stupa and Chakreshwar Mahadev Mandir visit at Nalasopara.

Lonad Caves & Pise dam - Places less travelled near Mumbai

My Coastal Karnataka Diary - Sojourn of Mangalore and around