Shree Ashapura temple - Nadol (Rajasthan)

Shree Ashapura Mataji is goddess worshipped mainly in Gujarat and Rajasthan, Its also a family deity for many in Gujarat and Rajasthan. One of the temple of the goddess is located in Nadol - Pali district and Modran in Rajasthan. There are other famous temples of the goddess at Matanamadh near Bhuj - Kutch, Jasdan - Rajkot, Morbi, Gondal, Jamnagar, Ghumli all in Gujarat.



Shree Ashapura mata is kuldevi of some of the gotras in Brahmin swarnakar samaj clans like Kala, Bhajud, Bhucha, Kathdiya, Kumbhalmera, Paldiwal, Solanki, Duhada, Kulmand, Lakhpal, Gugsa, Parkhavat, Ratanpal. She is also personal deity of Jadejas rulers of Kutch (Gujarat) and many other castes.

Shree Ashapura temple - Nadol


Reconstruction in progress

Gate of temple complex on Highway
Kuldevi : Every Hindu family has its own family deity which can be god or goddess and the families make a visit to obtain blessings of the deity especially on auspicious occasions like wedding, or new born in family. This tradition of having a kuldevi is similar to Tutelary deity worship which was practised in ancient Greece,Rome even in Native American religion, Asia and still practised today in Christianity.

Nadol - A sleepy small town in Desuri tehsil in Pali district on way to Jodhpur by bus from Udaipur. The town is famous for two important temples, one of Shree Ashapura mata which is also kuldevi (family deity) of people from Gujarat and Rajasthan, and Nadol Tirth which is Jain temple.

How to reach Nadol - Take a bus from Udaipur - Nathdwara which passes through towns of Gomti, Desuri, forest reserves of Khumbhalghar to reach Nadol. Takes 3 hours to reach from Nathdwara and buses are available in morning and evening. Nearest railway station is Rani junction which is 10kms from Nadol.

Lodging facility: Lodging facility is available in temple complex which also runs a Bhojnalay.

My visit: I had been planning a trip to get blessings of our Kuldevi - Shree Ashapura Mata since couple of months. After some research about Nadol, I decided to visit Rajasthan, Since it was my first visit and also first from anyone in my family so I decided to stay at Nathdwara which has better lodging facility and also it is 3hours bus drive to Nadol, bus & taxi service available from here. So it can be day trip.

Marble blocks

I boarded a Jodhpur bound bus from Nathdwara in the morning which stops at Nadol. The journey was not that exciting except for some eye popping marble and granite workshops along the route as Aravali mountains and Rajsamand in Rajasthan are famous for marble / granite mines. The bus also passed through the serpentine roads and picturesque forest reserve of Kumbhalgarh which is last green patch after which the barren desert starts. On reaching Nadol, found it to be small sleepy town which hardly would have a population of around 10000 and main highway to Jodhpur passes right in middle of the town. The temple complex which is a walk of 5-7 minutes from main highway is nice little temple which is being renovated and reconstructed with better facility for devotees. The idol of mata is quite unique and more mesmerising is to watch devotees who come here to seek blessings of the deity. The atmosphere is all charged with religious fervor. After performing puja, saw the temple complex also has lodging facility as well ;as Bhojnalay. After puja it was time for petpuja. The food served here is complete meal with roti, sabji, dal, rice, unlimited with charge of Rs 10/- per person.


After my darshan, I decided to return back to Nathdwara without doing any other adventures as October heat was taking its toll on me. On enquiring found that bus back to Udaipur had already left at 11.30am and next bus would be only in the evening. haha ... I was so !!!!!!!!!!!
Sitting on a stone arranged like a sitting bench on lone shop which was cycle repair shop on the highway, I decided to click pictures of Rajasthani folks passing by without offending them. With sun at its peak in mid afternoon, shop owner noticing that I was a novice or first timer in the village advised me to take a bus to Desuri village from where I would get other mode of transport to my destination. And I saw of bus to Desuri just pass by and I could only look at it as people were sitting on the roof of the bus !!!!!!!!


Gomti Village square
I started thinking that may be since I had not visited the kuldevi before, it was her way of punishing me for coming so late for her blessings.......But that was not the case as I saw a Maruti Omni which stopped in front of me and driver confirming if anyone would want to come to Desuri for a charge. I just hopped in the front seat without thinking twice. In Rajasthan, this is also one mode of transport as someone who is travelling to one location in a car, wants to make some money, would carry passengers for a charge. The driver dropped me to a village called Charbhuja which again is famous for some ancient temple of lord Vishnu. He also advised me to take bus to Gomti, from where I would get another mode of easy transport to Nathdwara. So here I was on a state transport bus to Gomti - town famous for Gurjar agitation and another important junction as buses going towards Jaipur and Jodhpur passes through it. Having reached Gomti, I was little more relaxed as it was only an hour drive to my destination so I decided to stop for a small tea break on highway tea stall all lined with "Khatiyas". Sipping hot ginger tea and watching the vehicles zooming past on national highway. It was first time for me to have tea on road side dhaba on a national highway. My journey back to Nathdwara from Gomti in state transport bus more reminded me of local train journey in Mumbai as it was a standing bus journey which got me back to Nathdwara.

This post is mainly for folks of Brahmin Swarnakar Samaj.

PICS FROM MY CLICKS
Rajasthani men & women multi coloured dressings.

Tribal women
Orange Pagdi



Red Pagdi












Comments

  1. How to reach Nadol temple from Itarsi Jn (MP) by train? Please guide me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take a train to Jodhpur from Itarsi, from Jodhpur take a bus going towards Jaipur / Udaipur. Nadol is 2hrs from Jodhpur by bus. You also get small local bus or sharing jeeps from Jodhpur which will drop you at Nadol temple

      Delete
  2. U can take a direct train upto udaipur
    And hire a cab from there upto temple it is just 131 km from udaipur u can visit shrinathji in the way as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are a family of four planning to visit our kuldevi maa from indore how can we reach there please giude me.
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reach udaipur by train and then either hire a cab to Nadol or you can take early morning Udaipur - Jodhpur bus which stops near temple gate which will reach by 11.30am

      return you can take local bus or shared cabs till gomti chauraya and then take udaipur bus from Jaipur highway or jodhpur - udaipur bus, but there are only 2-3 buses in a day

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sopara stupa and Chakreshwar Mahadev Mandir visit at Nalasopara.

Lonad Caves & Pise dam - Places less travelled near Mumbai

My Coastal Karnataka Diary - Sojourn of Mangalore and around