Nature trail in Uttan Mangroves - Jamdar pada lake and Dam

Mumbai is mainly associated with population, pollution and if this wasn't enough we have some unique haphazard ways of developing our city for the next few decades by clogging the already clogged roads with development projects which adds to our woes. We seek green spaces in the concrete jungles of Mumbai but when we have one like Aarey forest or Sanjay Gandhi national park, we make it a litter zone by throwing our empty food packets and empty plastic bottles. One would sometimes think there are no places left in Mumbai where we don't have pollution or littering, all place natural. But then an ardent nature lover would always find some pockets of green, someplace of solace and peace. And believe it or not, there exist such places in the deepest corners of our city where we can still find chirping birds, nature, greenery, and some uninterrupted shades of peace. 

One such place that I had recently read about - Jamdar Dam and a small lake, a place with abundant shade and sunlight, a small blue & green water lake, small dam, and involves a small hike to reach and away from the maddening crowd. It ticked all the boxes for a half a day excursion to this green oasis not far away from home. And with Mumbai weather suddenly becoming nippier in the mornings, It was a perfect invite for half a day nature trail inside Uttan forest.


The winter morning was fresh and there was more than usual chill in the air when I left my home for Gorai creek. A five-minute ferry ride from the mainland jetty takes you across to Gorai island which I usually term as our very own "Goa in the backyard of Mumbai". Gorai island trips are very frequent for me first because it is closer to my home in Borivali, second, it is a perfect place for a long walk, jog and even cycling due to less traffic, not to forget that feeling of village charm and beaches that island has still retained. The 4 km narrow road that cuts right through the Gorai mangroves from jetty to the beach is familiar turf for me but today the path was unchartered territory, something I had never taken before.


Mid-way on the Gorai beach road from jetty lies a small hamlet called "Jui pada" or "St Anthony's pada". A small white chapel dedicated to St Anthony gives its name to the hamlet. 


The less frequented road on the right of the chapel is lined with few resorts and beautiful bungalows with groves of mango trees. The road is less frequented and one can still find horse carts or bullock carts plying here which is a rare sight on the mainland. Approx 2kms from the main road, the village road ends and a mud trail enters the forest laden with huge mango trees. One of the locals I met was surprised to see a solo trekker asking for direction of an offbeat place not many try to venture. He gave the direction with the caveat to stick to the predefined forest path on the right.




As I walked on the mud trail, thoughts played in the head what if something happened or if I am lost in the woods !! There were no humans in sight and I was literally walking in the middle of nowhere. But the option of turning back if I don't find the right path kept me going. Some 30 minutes of walk in the wilderness and I reached few tribal huts where clothes were hanging for drying, one of the houses also had incense sticks burning in the courtyard. What a place to stay !! It is hard to believe that people are staying in such remote areas away from city life but the location was truly to fall in love with. My priority was to check for the right path and this made me completely forget to click the pictures of those beautiful houses. But this is surely for next time !!. Unfortunately, houses were locked probably the residents had already left for work.


Not far from these two houses I followed a trail with bike tire marks, a furlong away saw a gate. It was a gated house with better construction. In those moments I heard some ladies talking which bought me some relief. Three ladies had just come from fetching water in metal pots from nearby bavdi. They were equally surprised to see me, probably because no stranger would have ventured or passed by in a long time. She confirmed that I was indeed on the right path and can continue further. Now with newfound confidence, I continued my walk and finally reached a tribal hamlet with many houses and a narrow cemented road. One local boy was also pleasantly surprised on seeing me, even wished me "Good morning" !! 




I kept checking with any locals I passed by to make sure I was on the right path. One of them even accompanied me for a short walk to show the way and pointed at a path passing by a small school called "Anganwadi" and asked me to follow it. I am still in awe at this tribal village located in the pristine wilderness of Uttan forest, so close to the city and yet so far. Finally, after a total of two and a half hours' walk, I had reached the village "Jamdhar pada".


Ironically the trail was to culminate at a small dam called "Jamdar dam", frequented by many cyclist groups. The locals I talked to misunderstood when I asked for a water dam and pointed me to continue further while the Google lady kept shouting "you have finally arrived" !! As I continued the map showed I was moving away from my destination, Unsure, I still continued my journey passing few more houses but couldn't find anyone to confirm the path. 

Finally met a small girl on the way, Even she confirmed that indeed I was on right path and destination was close by, bewildered but still decided to continue as I have been in situations when google lady has led me on the wrong path. 😆😆. After a total three hours of walk, I finally reached a place which is actually not on google map. It was a beautiful lake surrounded by bamboo trees. It was such a pleasant surprise for I had actually come looking for something else and here I was standing on the banks of an amazing lake. I had reached Jamdar Lake. I sat in the shade on the banks of the lake mesmerized at its beauty. As I write about it, I am still getting goosebumps. The pristine beauty of the place had me in awe !!. Spent some time in solitude soaking in the peace and tranquillity the lake offered. 

Before I start my return, I at least wanted to see the dam that had till now alluded me. I bumped into one of the locals who had guided me earlier and this time showed him the pic of the dam I was looking for. The locals call it Khara pani cha bandh or salty water dam as the creek water flows through it during high tide. This time I was on the right path and was guided back to Jamdar pada from where a small off-path would take me to the water dam I had come looking for. Finally, I reached my destination - Jamdar dam. Nothing fancy about the place, a very small dam but the offbeat trail to reach here is what makes this place worth a visit. I sat under the shade of a tamarind tree enjoying the breeze savoring on some bitings that I had brought along. 





For my return journey, Instead of taking the same route back, I hoped to reach the main Uttan road following what seemed like a forest path close to some stone quarry but ended up at dead ends. Two attempts at finding the route lead me to nowhere and hence returned back to the lake and decided to take the trail along the banks of the lake, Third attempt to find the right path was a success, The trail passed from behind of "Keshav Shrusti complex", passed through the banana grove and vegetable fields and finally came out from campus of Rambhau Mhalgi Prabhodhini. (Rambhau Mhalgi campus). 









This Jamdar pada lake and dam is an offbeat destination doable mainly in winters, The confluence of mangroves with forest ecosystem is seen here in its full grandeur and this undisturbed nature trail is one of the best I have done after a long time. Anyone reading and doing this trail is humbly requested to not ruin this patch of forest and help in keeping this path litter-free.

How to reach Jamdar Lake: Straight forward route is to take an in-road from Prabhat hotel on main Gorai - Uttan road or follow an offbeat path like I did from Jui Pada on Gorai beach road and then onto the muddy trail in the wilderness.

Lotus lake at the entrance of Pal Khadi road on Uttan - Bhayander road.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sopara stupa and Chakreshwar Mahadev Mandir visit at Nalasopara.

Lonad Caves & Pise dam - Places less travelled near Mumbai

Discovering Mumbai heritage - A temple where cooled volcanic lava is worshiped