Nature trail to Tungareshwar

Tungareshwar - A wild life sanctuary which houses an abode of Lord Shiva is an hour drive from Mumbai, at a altitude of 2177 feet, on a mountain plateau of Vasai. Its a lovely place, thickly wooded and offers many opportunities to trekkers, nature lovers and also birding. Its a new comer to the list of wild life sanctuaries. At 3kms from the main gate of sanctuary lies famous Tungareshwar temple of Lord Shiva and 7kms ahead is the ashram of some yogi and the summit from where the entire wild life sanctuary is visible on a clear day.


My trek: I had read and heard a lot about Tungareshwar since my childhood but never had an opportunity to explore the place. And since this winter season, I had decided to explore as many places as I can on Saturday / Sundays before the onset of summer heat. So here I was on a lovely Sunday morning, I boarded the local train for Vasai at 6.30am from Borivali. The early morning chill in the air reminded me of the fact that winters had decided to extend their stay in Mumbai for little longer and that was all that I wanted on my Nature trail day. Reaching Vasai east, I checked with few autowalas for fare to Tungareshwar Phata and I was told that if I go "Private" would cost me Rs 100/- till the gates of the sanctuary. I checked the other options with one paperwala and found that there was another auto rickshaw stand which would take me to my destination for Rs 20/- on sharing basis. Its a 15minutes walk to the main gate of WLS from the phata and I was shocked to find that new industrial areas are being developed on the road and also their is a whole colony of houses and shops with litter scattered everywhere. There are couple of ashrams on the road which leads to the famous temple of Lord Shiva, Wondered how the authorities have kept blind eye to such developments. One of the ashram has a name called "Ashram of CHAKACHAK BABA".


There is a wide motorable road which leads to the temple of Tungareshwar and I started to follow the road. The early morning mist in the air was a amazing experience.Since I had reached around 7.30am, there was no one except me on the road. The chirping sound, the melodious call of some birdie and hooding sound by another was soothing to the ears. The birds singing call was like welcoming me to explore the place further.












On the way, came across three dried streams and also at one patch of the road, it ran parallel to the walkable road indicating that in monsoon this place would a paradise. I promise to be back on the same road in monsoon to get the feel of paradise when the inviting forest would be lush green.


My trail was full of sighting of some amazing colourful birds. I being a novice in identifying the birds, just watched in wonder at the birds and their singing. The worst part was even though I was carrying my camera, the moment I tired to focus on the bird, It would have vanished. I really need to learn more about how to capture these birdies in my camera. Though I was delighted with such surrounding but also had little fear for their was not a single soul on the road unlike the national park at Borivali where people come for walk as soon as the gates are open at 5am.


The forest of Tungareshwar was in the midst of transformation with the deciduous trees shedding the leaves or turning brown, yellow or dried, like toned to welcome the summer.




On my way I did come across a tribal lady who was already back from her daily chorus of collecting woods. Just made me wonder that just few kms from here is the city of Mumbai which leads altogether different lifestyle.


The main road leading to the temple and ahead to the summit was covered with layer of fine silky sand which billowed as and when occasional biker or autorickshaw passed by. It took around 45minutes for me to reach the famous temple. The trail is not difficult except that road inches higher as we move towards the summit which is at 2177 feet.


The temple of Lord Shiva and other small temples in middle of sanctuary is quite famous with devotees who throng on some auspicious days in a year. By the time I reached the temple, there were quite a few devotees already and the air was full of chanting of shlokas by the priest and the devotees. There was also a dried waterfall close to the temple in which devotees take a dip when its gushing with water during monsoon.




 The temple complex was littered with plastic and other waste which was not a sight one would like to get in such surrounding. There are couple of shops outside the temple selling tea and vada pav which is again welcome when one is a trekking journey. I decided to return back from here as trek to the summit was another 7kms ahead and also the trek is isolated with barely any human settlement except at the summit where there is ashram of Balyogi baba. I certainly would like to come again and reach the summit.


On my way, I stopped to capture birdies in my lens, although I was not very successful.












My trail till the temple and back was lovely experience. I did capture some amazing pics on the way for my memories. Hoping to see a different world when I plan to come back in monsoon.

Pics from my clicks : Some amazing shapes of trees which I captured on my way



 The "Tectona Grandis" tree which we commonly refer as "SAAG". The tree from where we get our expensive furniture.


Some amazing growth in the sanctuary.





Some trees had a different coloured leaves to show me ;-)











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sopara stupa and Chakreshwar Mahadev Mandir visit at Nalasopara.

Lonad Caves & Pise dam - Places less travelled near Mumbai

My Coastal Karnataka Diary - Sojourn of Mangalore and around